Install Windows 10 from USB With Ease
To create a USB boot drive for Windows that starts with a Windows .iso file or Windows installation DVD:
Everything you need
- Windows 10 installs .iso or DVD
- USB flash drive with over 5GB of free storage. This unit is configured, so make sure there are no important files.
- PC Technician-Windows PC Used to Configure USB Flash Drive
- Computer Destination-Computer on which Windows is installed
Step 1-configure unit and set partition
- Connect USB flash drive to PC.
- Open Disk Manager. Right-click the [Start] button and select [Disk Management].
- You can configure partitions. Right click on the USB drive partition and select Format. Select a FAT32 file system so that you can boot a BIOS-based or UEFI-based computer.
- Activated partition: Right-click the USB drive partition and click “Create partition active”.
Step 2-copy Windows settings to USB flash drive
- Use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the entire contents of your Windows DVD or ISO product to a USB flash drive.
Step 3-install Windows on the new computer
- Connect the USB flash drive to the new computer.
- Turn on the computer and press a key to open the computer’s boot device menu, such as Esc / F10 / F12.
- Select the option to boot your computer from a USB flash drive. Windows installation starts. Follow the instructions to install Windows.
- Remove the USB flash drive.
Troubleshooting: file copy fails
It can possibly happen when Windows image file is over the FAT32 file size limit of 4GB. When it happens:
- Copy all the content except the Windows image file (sources\install.wim) to the USB drive (either drag and drop, or use this command, where D: is the mounted ISO and E: is the USB flash drive.)
robocopy D: E: /s /max:3800000000
- Split the Windows image file into smaller files, and put the smaller files onto the USB drive:
Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:D:\sources\install.wim /SWMFile:E:\sources\install.swm /FileSize:3800
Note, Windows Setup automatically installs from this file, so all you need to do is name it install.swm.
Install Windows 10 from USB